Skate Canada’s flagship program is CanSkate, a dynamic learn-to-skate program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. Based on Sport Canada’s Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) principles, CanSkate centres on physical literacy and the fundamental skills needed to take part in any ice sport or to skate as a recreational activity.
Action, movement and fun! Lessons are given in a group format with a coach-to-student ratio of a maximum 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, upbeat music and a wide variety of activities that create a motivational environment and promote learning. Badges and ribbons are used to benchmark skaters’ progress and other incentives reward effort and participation.
What should my child wear?
- All skaters up to Stage 5 inclusive MUST wear a CSA approved hockey helmet. A cage is recommended for all skaters.
- Bike, ski and skate/snowboarding helmets are NOT allowed.
- Do not over dress for lessons, as the rink can be warm.
- Mittens/gloves are needed on the ice. (Please no CHENILLE gloves)
- Elbow and Kneepads are not necessary
What type of skates should I buy and how should they fit?
- To ensure skaters enjoy and benefit from their lessons, skates should fit properly, provide strong ankle support, be tied tightly around the ankle and instep, and be sharpened.
- Avoid plastic molded skates and do not remove picks from figure skates.
- If you have questions regarding equipment please speak to one of our professional coaches.
Where do I watch my child's lesson?
- Designated dressing rooms must be used. Do not use benches outside dressing rooms to put on or remove skates.
- No parents are permitted in the players’ benches or penalty box at any time. All parents are asked to observe from the stands.
- All parents must remain in the rink for the duration of the skate lesson.
- Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are parents allowed to step foot on the ice during the Canskate session. This may result in your skater's immediate removal from the program.
- If you have any questions please message: email@example.com